Tuesday, June 23, 2009

on my mind.

these are the things i'm thinking about right now:

john and kate are getting divorced. malcom gladwell and his smart friends saw this coming years ago. if you don't know what i am talking about, then do yourself a favor and go buy the following three books: "tipping point," "blink," and "outliers." in "blink," gladwell tells about some psychologists who can look at married people and within 15 minutes be able to predict with over 85% accuracy whether this couple will last. it's called thin-slicing and it's fascinating. of course when it comes to the dominating demon that is kate matched with the passive pansy john, it's not that hard to see. in reality, i'm sad about this because divorce is sad. divorce is tragic. i don't watch the show and i don't know much about it, but when you cut through the gossip-column celebrity obsession b.s., it's a sad thing when two people decide that they can't live with one another anymore. i wish it didn't happen to people, and i pray to God everyday that it doesn't happen to heidi and i.

yes, i know that they are making a "where the wild things are" movie. yes, i'm excited about it. that book was my favorite as a child and obviously i have a big enough connection with it to defile myself with a tattoo of it's images. but i swear that if another stranger asks to see my arm, and then makes some sort of comment about the forthcoming movie i am going to start firing shots into the crowd (yes, i carry a firearm at all times). i like spike jonze a lot (director) but think david eggers is a tool (screenwriter). will i be there opening night? yes i will.

people who know me, or any male born between 1976 and 1985 have been asking me if i am excited about the upcoming GIJOE movie. my answer is that i am not. mostly, i just don't pay attention to movies because i never go to see them, but also, i don't trust hollywood. i didn't see transformers because i didn't think it would be as good as the old cartoon with the sweet metal theme song. i refuse to watch 99% of the remakes that are made each year because frankly, i just can't support these money-making ploys that prey upon our collective nostalgia.

slow sports season right now. i need something to happen to spice it up. i'm hoping that "brett favre orders a steak at outback - considers retiring from retirement" scrolls across the ticker on espn just so i have something to complain about.

wait? brett favre is in the news every day because he's debating another return to football this year? this is really happening again? and some people still think that he's not the biggest turd to ever put on a helmet? i don't believe it. kevin and i have been telling you people for years to quit supporting this guy. don't say we didn't warn you.

kevin and i are so smart. (and yes kevin, "american history x" is a very good movie. but you knew that because you're almost as smart as i am).

i'm not angry. i realize that all of my comments so far have come across as condescending and vehement, but in reality, i'm in a really good mood. an unexpected date with heidi tonight afforded me some good talks, beer and comet's jerk tofu burrito, so how could i be in a poor mood? that would be silly.

one month from today i will head up to chicago to catch a cubs-reds game at wrigley with kevin. this is going to be the best. i will tweet/facebook/blog all about it.

just watched season 1 of "the wire" again this past week. if you haven't watched this show by now then we can just stop being friends and go our separate ways. i'm telling you that if you give it a chance and watch it that you will lose your damn mind. i watched some of the commentaries this time too, and can tell you that i am completely convinced that this was the smartest and most well-done show ever made. just watch it. you have no excuse. i'm going to get on facebook and see if they have a "which 'the wire' character are you?" i hope i'm bunk.

my fears have been confirmed. facebook has robbed my creative ingenuity by stealing the everyday thoughts that i usually collect and collaborate into a fine blog each week for your reading pleasure.

i'm concerned that the annual camping trip isn't going to happen. am i in charge of this thing? why is nobody asking me about it? is anybody still on board with this thing?

listened to a message today called "just do something" by this guy deyoung. it was motivating and convicting. i could be doing a lot more with my life if i just left the house and started something without thinking through all the possible ways that it could fail. malcom gladwell would be so disappointed in me, especially since i was born in april and should be much more successful than i am. jimmy mcnulty didn't think about all bad stuff that would happen if he went after the baltimore drug game without reserve. he just did it. and so should i.

did i mention that you should read malcom gladwell's books?

did i mention that you should watch "the wire?"

what are you waiting for? we could have so much more to talk about if you would just do something...

(see how i just tied all those things together like that? i'm good.)

4 comments:

Billy said...

I called Kenny and Kevin and they both told me that you are in charge. I'm not asking you about it because I don't have your number and I would rather ask in a less confrontational setting. I guess I could ask you on facebook, but since you stated that you were going to be very particular with your facebook friends, I feared rejection.

So yes, there are those of us who are very concerned about the camping trip. Don't give up. Follow Malcolm Gladwell's words and do something.

By the way, you and Heidi are invited to festivities at my house on the 4th of July.

Mr. Bad Example said...

This blog post is why we are friends.

I also love Bunk and wished I would get him.

Slow sports time? But the NHL draft is on Friday at 4 on the Versus network. If that doesn't say important I don't know what does.

5 more months........

Kevin Wesley said...

I'm mentioned in this blog multiple times, which is actually helping your blog more than it is me. Don't regret your tattoos. I actually appreciate them, especially the kid's drawing one. I thought that was a fantastic gesture. No joke.

Facebook has robbed everyone of something.

Taylor said...

I always worry when things I love or loved as a child are re-made or re-purposed for other people. I'm not sure where she got the idea, but my mother-in-law (who is more artistically inclined than I realized) is actually painting two huge canvases for the baby's room of Where the Wild Things Are. One is of him sailing and the other is of him hanging from the trees with the monsters. Should be cool.